Monday, July 30, 2007

Ode to Letterman... Top Ten Best Things About Our Wedding Week...

10. Finding out Jet Puff makes chocolate & coconut flavored marshmallows (we did s'mores in lieu of wedding cake at the reception).

9. Alisha putting my veil on correctly even though she had a perfect opportunity at revenging the fact that I did not notice that she had put hers on backwards at her wedding - consequently you could not see her face in any of the pictures in which she is wearing her veil (In my defense... it was my fist time being a maid of honor and it was almost ten years ago... I thought she'd forgiven me but she kept bringing it up all week so I guess I have yet to be absolved of that particular sin).

8. Something old (Peggy's mother's locket), something new (The wedding dress my mom made for me), something borrowed (my grandmother's pearls lent by my sister), something blue (the earrings Michael bought me for Christmas).

7. Meeting Michael's family and knowing that they had driven all the way from California to be there with us at our simple but beautiful mountain wedding under the shadows of the Sawtooth Mountains.

6. Almost flying over the handle bars of my mountain bike as I tried to catch up to Scott and Alisha on an old logging road at Petit Lake. It was a beautiful ride, and I know that I will never forget the way the sunset was reflecting off the clear ice blue lake on our way back to camp.

5. Joe playing the guitar around the campfire as all of us (Wendy, Alisha, Dawn, my brother, sister, Michael and I) sang 80's hair ballads -think Every Rose Has It's Thorn. Can't wait to see the video of that... hopefully with my solos edited out.

4. Watching my sister do the robot on the dance floor at the reception as my mom, dad, mother-in-law, friends, the woman that babysat Michael as a child (and coincidently graduated from Boise High in the same class as my dad) danced around her. Priceless.

3. Seeing my grandparents back at Terrace Lakes - a place that holds so many wonderful childhood memories for me of them. It reminded me yet again how lucky I am to have had such an engaged and fun-loving Grandmother and Grandfather so close growing up.

2. Standing in the middle of Petit Lake with a bottle of champagne watching a meteor shower against the backdrop of an ebony sky filled with an infinite number of stars (you could actually see the Milky Way and understand exactly how it got its name) that if I didn't know any better I would swear some higher power decided to create just for us. Incredible.

1. Marrying my best friend... I don't care how cheesy and overused that phrase is, in this case it is most definitely true.

We did it our way, which was most certainly not the traditional route. I can't imagine a better officiant than Ross who has been Michael's best friend since preschool. I can't imagine having anyone but my brother-in-law Joe playing the song that I walked down the aisle with my dad to. I can't imagine having had anyone but our sisters and my brother stand up with us as we said our vows. I can't imagine doing such an intimate thing in front of people that would not have understood why we were doing it the way that we did.
Our vows were amazing, sincere, and profound. It may not have been the typical wedding, but it was ours and it felt right. My only regret is for the people that could not be there that really wanted to. Rest assured all of the people that care about us and had a part in creating and supporting the two of us were there in spirit and in love.

No comments: