Monday, August 07, 2006

Never say never

I’ve always been fairly independent. I’ve made an effort in my life to be self-sufficient and even buck the trend from time to time. I choose to work in a lumber yard when I was eighteen and all of my girlfriends were going to nursing school, becoming teachers and waitressing. I watched most of them get married in their early twenties and then continued watching as they had children. Instead I bought a house by myself when I was 25 without even considering that I should wait for a life partner. My favorite quote was one by Mae West, “Marriage is a great institution, but I’m not ready for an institution yet.” I watched my sister get married to a wonderful person (and expand our family to include the Hodsons whom we all just love, honestly we couldn’t ask for better in-laws) last year and was so so so happy for her. But I thought to myself at the time, “No, thanks. That life just isn’t for me.” That being said, the words I am about to type are words I always wondered and honestly doubted that I would ever say…

I’m getting married to the most wonderful man I know and I couldn’t be more excited!

Apparently everyone was right all these years and I just hadn’t met the right person yet. Michael proposed this weekend at an early birthday party hosted by my friends. It was romantic and fun and perfect and I wish that everyone I know could have been there. We haven’t decided if we will have a wedding or not, but once we do I will be sure to let everyone know. Love to you all. Celebrate life. -M

1 comment:

Kathy Hodson said...

Congatulations! I am so excited to welcome MJ into the family. I am really happy for the both of you. Come on, have a wedding. It would be so much fun!