Thursday, April 03, 2008

Spring Cleaning

My husband thinks that I've gone crazy. Since we've lived together I've had a rather relaxed style of housekeeping. We've been having so much fun doing other things that the cleaning part of the agenda has definitely slipped a bit. But its been bothering me - and in a house as small as ours we can't afford to let much clutter build up. So a couple weeks ago in all my spare time (yes, that was sarcasm) I launched a spring cleaning campaign to cover about eight weeks. It's amazing how a little bit of time and a few small projects each day can add up to such a difference in the house.
My efforts have convinced me that maybe we don't need that much more space, we just need to stay on top of things and become a little more organized. It wasn't the smartest thing to start this in the middle of a bathroom re haul, but in a way it has helped to keep me sane amongst the chaos of the new faucet and sink sitting in the middle of our living room. I just think about how nice the linen closet looks now with it's coat of fresh paint and perfectly folded linens. When I am in the bathroom starring at one complete wall and start to worry about how long it will take to do the other three, I walk into the kitchen to open a cupboard and notice how lovely our dishes look neatly organized on shelves clad in pretty new paisley printed contact paper.
I've got three huge boxes of things that we just don't need ready to be donated to the Youth Ranch. Three boxes - from ONE room. Amazing.
Soon the kitchen will be done and I'll be moving on to the dinning room. Or as we like to call it, the Dogs' room. We corral all three of our rascals in there with baby gates when we have guests or just need a little breathing room. The Dogs' Room is going to be a challenge for sure. I just need to remember to focus on a little bit at a time. Any more and I'll become overwhelmed at how much still needs to be done.

No comments: