Wednesday, June 13, 2007

How to Train for a Marathon in 16 weeks...

This week Michael & I have started our training for the Bizz Johnson Trail Marathon in Susanville, California on October 6. We haven't actually signed up yet (I want to see how our training goes before we pony up the cash) but we have a training plan and we have followed it perfectly for the last 48 hours. It involves a lot of cross training - mostly mountain biking because that is MJ's strong suit and because it is not as hard on my hips. I was set to do this race on my own, but Michael decided last minute to join me. I think this experience will be a good one for our first year as a (gulp!) married couple. I hope it will be, anyway. What doesn't kill you is supposed to make you stronger... right?
MJ is not a runner, but he can usually run shorter distances faster than I can which helps me to stay out of my comfort zone. Tonight I am moving even further away from comfort as we embark on a ride in the foothills. Thus far my rides have involved pavement with some sort of goal at the end - work, food, entertainment or beverages. Tonight I can look forward to deep sand & mud, sky scraping endless hills (I know because I run them), random unleashed scary looking dogs, women talking loudly on their cell phones while their kids run around poking at things in the ground with sticks, testosterone fueled male cyclists on a mission to break the sound barrier on busy single track, and runners (like me - usually) that have their ipods turned up so loud that there is no way that they will hear me signal "on your left" in what I hope is a pleasant manner. Oh, and this is the first time that I will "clip in" to my pedals. That means that my shoes and pedals are attached to each other and if I start to fall I have to figure out how to get them unclipped rather quickly before tragedy strikes and I wreck my bike with my feet firmly attached to the pedals. So... I'm a bit (note the sarcasm) nervous. I have to take my inspiration from my fiance' who has exercise induced-asthma but decided to run 26.2 miles with me in October anyway so we can spend a bit more time together.
I guess this is what being married is all about.

No comments: