Friday, May 15, 2009

One Year Later...

I’ve had a few people ask me to start writing on my blog again. It has been awhile. Quite a few things have happened. My brother and his girlfriend Kirsten moved to Boise and bought a house in our neighborhood. Michael and I have been busy tearing down walls in our kitchen. I fractured my pelvis running too much, too hard, and believe it or not too fast. Peggy & Jennifer’s house got plowed into by a car. My sister gave birth to a beautiful baby boy. Cairo had to be put to sleep after a long, undetected illness. Life, death, growth, movement, progress, quite a bit of pain and even more joy – all in the 368 days since I last posted.

Everything just seems so much brighter, cleaner, and clearer after a long winter. Especially this winter – I’ve been unable to do anything weight-bearing since I fractured my pelvis at the end of February. It has been, for lack of a better word, hell. I know there are far worse things that can happen to a person, really I do. But I also know that if I can’t get out and run (or at least walk) all my thoughts get so jumbled in my head that I can’t think straight. Activity is my coping mechanism for the winter blues. This winter was hard. Last night Michael and I went hiking on a trail in the foothills that neither of us had ever been on. It was my first hike since my stress fracture and it felt amazing. The wildflowers were out in full force and everything was so green. I still have three more weeks of physical therapy before I can even attempt to start running again. The ability to be out last night in my hills hand in hand with my husband in all that clean, fresh, wonderful air gave me such a sense of overwhelming gratitude. It was a much needed respite from the foggy gloom of the past few weeks and months.

I hope everyone out there in the blogosphere is enjoying spring wherever they may be. Glasses of wine on the patio, the sun hitting your face as you devour a great novel, coffee with a dog curled up at your feet, trips to the mountains for stories around a campfire. The good stuff. I hope you are all enjoying the good stuff that spring and life have to offer us all.

Lots of love, -M

2 comments:

Kathy Hodson said...

Glad to see you back blogging in cyber world. I love reading about your life! I can't wait for you to meet Jonah in July!

Isaac and Celinda said...

Yeahoo! You are back! I missed you - xoxo Celinda