Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Thanksgiving

How can you not love a holiday that is all about gratitude (and lots of food and football)? We should have gratitude holidays all the time. They should all be about gratitude! I am thankful for:
  • My family. My wonderful, perplexing, supportive, sometimes crazy family. Every single one of them is amazing. From our dear cousin just getting through with the monsoons in India, to our other cousin and her husband, aunt, and lots of second cousins just getting ready for a frigid Norwegian winter. From those here in Boise that we don't see nearly enough of, to my sister and her family in Indiana - which seems so much further away during the holidays. My grandparents that are an inspiration to everyone. And my brother and my mom-in-law who made the trip from one side of the state of Oregon to the other just to be here with us. My father-in-law in California and all of Michael's sisters and brothers - the ones I met and the ones I didn't. And my new sister-in-law (and dog-sitter extraordinaire) and of course my husband and our menagerie of beautiful mischievous dogs and our grumpy cat. Our first Thanksgiving as a married couple will be filled with the sounds of a family - loud and laughing and hungry all sitting down together for dinner. Even if we aren't all in the same room.
  • My friends. My beautiful, fun-loving, friends. Every single one of them is incredible. I am so blessed that I can't even begin to list them all here. So many changes in the last year. New babies, failed relationships, new triumphs at work, races run, weddings, new love. Another year has past and I feel even closer to them all. They are spread out all over the world and the country and the state, but they will all be right there with me when I sit down at the Thanksgiving table.
  • My failures. Weird one - I know. Just stay with me here a minute. With each time I have failed, I have learned a lesson. Only four months into this marriage I have learned so much(Insert here: I am VERY THANKFUL for Michael's patience). Every bad day has helped me to appreciate the good ones that much more. Being married is like having a huge mirror put in front of your face. It forces you to look more closely at some of your "traits" that maybe need a bit of work. I am grateful for my failures, because they are teaching me how to succeed in this life.

I try to make it a point each day to find something to be grateful for. There is no way I could list all of those things here. The big three are above, covering most of it. The most important things in life are not good jobs and nice houses. Fancy cars and expensive clothes. Everyone intuitively knows this, but what better time of year to remind ourselves then right before the gluttony of Christmas begins? Lots of love and gratitude to everyone out there that takes the time to read this blog. Be safe and happy this weekend. -M

1 comment:

Dawn said...

Well said Sista. Thanks for being you! ~ D