Monday, September 10, 2007

Busy Weekend... (nothing new there...)

This weekend we tackled yet another front of the house project. This one involved beefing up our posts on the front landing. Previously there were just two 4x4 posts, so we got up early Saturday morning and went to BMC West to pick up some 1x4 & 1x6 cedar to wrap the posts with.
A side note here: I really miss working at the lumber yard. The corporate world is just, well, different. I am so weirdly proud of our place up on Franklin Road. MJ compared Home Depot to the Walmart of building materials after seeing it the first time. Is it strange for a woman (and environmentalist) to be so attached to a place that sells studs & siding? I couldn't say, but the smell of fresh cut lumber early in the morning truly warms my heart!
Anyway, MJ had to work so I started our project by myself until the BSU game started. I love the feeling of using a nail gun, its very powerful. I was getting some bemused looks from people walking by, and had more than a few comments from our neighbors. My mother and grandmother and cousin Amy and mother-in-law Peggy are phenomenal sewers (or is that seamstresses?). My sister knows her way around a sewing machine as well. I never have learned and always felt like some day the sewing bug would just bite me and all those good sewing genes would finally manifest. I've always wanted to create, I've longed to take materials and make something of them. As I was happily humming under my breath nailing the cedar onto the posts on Saturday morning it occurred to me that maybe I was destined to create using a different medium than Peggy, Amy, Mom and Grandma do. It was one of those (as Oprah calls them) 'Aha!' moments.
Yesterday we finished the posts and MJ spackled and caulked his little heart out. He's really, really good at finish work which is going to come in handy when we move our efforts into the house over the winter. We were laughing together by the end of the day, which I take as a good sign. I know some of my friends have said remodeling projects can put a bit of strain on a marriage!
I'm hoping to post photos of before all the tile and post projects and after in the next few weeks after we get done painting. Next we have a gravel job to do on our front strip between the sidewalk and the road with some container projects and then (weehooo!) a new willow fence. Can't wait!
Hope everyone is doing well and discovering their passions in life. Love to all, -M

No comments: