Monday, September 24, 2007

Autumn Afternoons

Friday night MJ and I walked over to Westside Drive-In, a neighborhood icon and grabbed some meatloaf and mashed potatoes for dinner. One meal is enough for both of us, and the food at this place is not your typical drive-in food so we were very satisfied. We spent the rest of the evening at home, chatting over a bottle of wine. Saturday morning I got the rest of my plants snuggled into their new home as rain drizzled down all day. It wasn't really what most people would refer to as rain - but in Boise we'll take what we can get... mist, sprinkles, drizzles, dew, downpours, torrents and just plain showers are all welcome here. My new plants will love it, and the snow pack in the mountains is (knock on wood) a good omen of the winter to come. I'm actually looking forward to breaking out the skis this year.
Saturday night after MJ got off work we drove up to Garden Valley to meet up with Carol, Jan, Mom and Dad. It was almost a complete reenactment of our weekend up there with them last year. A late dinner, little wine, a little Balderdash. Wet dogs in and out the door. Rain hitting the metal roof. Cozy as it gets. Nothing smells better than the ground in the woods after a good strong rain. Nothing says fall to me more than a drive along the Payette as the leaves start to change and a night spent in stocking feet playing board games with family.
Sunday as we drove home we stopped by a nursery in Horseshoe Bend.
*A side note here: I linked to this nursery's website because I am amazed that a business in Horseshoe Bend has a honest to goodness website. I'm not sure if that says more about the prevalence of the Internet in our lives these days or how far Horseshoe Bend has come in the last few years.
Anyway, they had some very creative ideas. MJ's favorite was a flower bed. It was an actual old rusty bed frame filled with flowers. I liked the kitchen complete with an old stove and stock pots and frying plans filled with succulents. I can't wait to see what that place looks like in the summer. It will definitely be on our list of places to stop when we are heading home from the cabin.
It was a quiet weekend, exactly what we needed. I hope everyone out there had the weekend that they needed to have as well.One of these days I'll charge up the batteries on the camera and start taking pictures again. Love to all, -M

No comments: